“Lucky you. That means you date Italian men!!!”
During my life I’ve heard this hundreds of times.
And, being Italian, my answer wouldn’t be so enthusiastic. The first thought of every Italian woman, would be –Yes, and I’m tired of all the “Ciao Bella” in the street - they’re just pathetic.
But, I must admit, Italians have their charm. And after visiting many countries abroad I probably got why they are worldwide recognized to be the best lovers.
- Ciao bella. Yes. This is not a stereotype. Walk in the streets and this will be one of the must you will hear. We simply ignore them (unless he doesn’t look like Raul Bova). But, even if we will never admit it, we smile all the times. Italian men will always stare at you when you walk, they will try to get into a conversation with you, or simply whistle at you. Let’s say they appreciate a nice pair of legs and they simply can’t control their mouth. Do they really want to talk to you? They will adore you if you stop by, but they won’t get offended if you’ll keep walking. They just need to express their thoughts. (Want to discover more about the Italian slang? Click here!)
- If you date an Italian man, he will pay the bill at the restaurant. This is something that often shocks the English women. Italian women are so accustomed to it that neither pay attention to it. No, sorry, this is not true. Truth is, this is one of the things that will make us decide if giving him a second chance. How it works? A little play is everything it takes…probably he will tell you he is going to the bathroom, while going to pay the bill instead. But if he is not smart enough, when the time to pay arrives, just ask “Can we share?” He will say, “Absolutely not”. You will smile and thank him. Don’t insist…he would definitely feel offended.
- It just takes a glance and they will come to you. This is something that probably works in Italy and in some other country in Europe but not overseas. Italian women don’t make a step in the man’s direction. Women simply look at them. It’s the Italian man who has to move his butt and come to you. And they still do it. So know that if you share a glance with an Italian man he will come to you and start flirting with you. He is the man, isn’t he?
- You’re the sun of my sky. Italian men love flirting. They are the best at doing it. That it’s just a one day (or night) relationship or not, he will love you, promise you the world, make you feel the queen of his world. Is that true? If some Italian woman is reading this article she will smile now. We know it’s not. At least, if this happens in the first half an hour. But this is part of their charm I guess. If dating an Italian man, you will get more compliments in one hour that you have received during all your life. Just let them showing you all their Casanova’s capabilities. Laughing at them is absolutely not recommended. You would hurt their feelings and their ego. Again, just let them be Italian! They will bring you looking at the sunset comparing your eyes to the first rising star. After all, it’s what every woman would love to hear at least once in her lifetime, isn’t it?
- Jealous? Yes. But we love dramas. Our men are jealous. Yes. Some could fight if another man look at their woman in a not proper way. They need to be at the centre of their women’s world. But don’t think Italian women are different. Truth is we love dramas. Italian men and women still fit perfectly because both love to get the other’s attention making a scene of jealousy from time to time. It’s part of the game.
- If you don’t like the physical contact you could have a problem. We are people who need it like the air we breathe. We hug, we touch each other while speaking, we kiss each others, we are not ashamed of sharing emotion in public. People not doing it are defined as cold. So, you can guess how it is when you date an Italian man. Forget not to take each other hand or not to have his arm or your shoulder while walking. Only strangers don’t do it.
- Don’t touch their mother. There is something you will have to always keep in mind. Mum is and always will be the number one woman of their life. Don’t be shocked if they are 30 and still living at their parents’. Don’t be shocked if they live alone but still bring clothes to wash to their mothers. And most of all, never doubt she is the best cook, the best woman, the most amazing mum of the world. Simply, you can’t compete.
To conclude, even if sometimes they are accused to be cheaters and unfaithful, there is no doubt this is another thing you can only experience in Italy.
After all, if even Miss Veronica Ciccone stated Italians do it better there must be something true…
You liked this article? Don't miss our entire blog about the Italian culture and life Style
And if you feel like it's time to learn Italian, just click here!